Mode of Study
Take an in depth look at the fascinating world of business psychology with this undergraduate programme. Focusing on real life situations you will gain an understanding of the psychological behaviours of people in business or organisation contexts.
This course will allow you to immerse yourself in a variety of unique and interesting topics including psychological development through the lifespan, leadership and managing teams, as well as individual differences, emotions and behaviours.
You will learn to apply knowledge of the human mind and behaviour to investigate fundamental business functions, as well as adopting core psychological theories to understand organisational change, effective leadership, recruitment and selection, and corporate decision-making.
The fascinating range of topics you will explore include:
- the study of the social factors that impact on individual’s lives
- explaining why people differ from one another
- how organisations are built and how they behave as a result
- relationships among an organisation’s culture, its leadership, and its employees
- the dynamic roles of management in the area of human resources
Finally, you’ll be able to build on your research skills acquired during the programme through your final project on a business psychology topic that is of personal interest to you.
Please note: This programme is not accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS). If you would like to study a BPS accredited course, please see our BSc (Hons) Psychology.
Why we’re great
- Our courses involve a range of technical competencies which can be applied immediately to the real world, making you an asset to any team or employer.
- Graduates of the course will have a holistic understanding of both business and psychology in addition to a wide range of transferable skills including critical thinking, research, self-motivation and communication.
- On this course you can choose optional modules to tailor your learning to your personal interests.
Our courses involve a range of technical competencies which can be applied immediately to the real world, making you an asset to any team or employer.
Graduates of the course will have a holistic understanding of both business and psychology in addition to a wide range of transferable skills including critical thinking, research, self-motivation and communication.
On this course you can choose optional modules to tailor your learning to your personal interests.
Level 4 Modules:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning in Psychology (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Social Psychology (15 credits)*
- Human Resources Management (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)*
- Fundamentals of Marketing (15 credits)*
- One optional module**:
- Personality and Intelligence (15 credits)
- Business and Management Skills (15 credits)
- Introduction to Research Methods (30 credits)*
Level 5 Modules:
- Biological Psychology (15 credits)*
- Advanced Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)*
- Leadership and Managing Teams (15 credits)*
- Individual Differences, Emotions and Behaviours (15 credits)*
- Organisational Development and Change (15 credits)*
- Quantitative Psychology (15 credits)*
- Psychological Development through the Lifespan (15 credits)*
- Consumer Behaviour (15 credits)*
Level 6 Modules:
- Critical Social Psychology (15 credits)
- Developmental Science (15 credits)
- Occupational Psychology (15 credits)
- Business Strategy (15 credits)
- International Marketing Strategy (15 credits)
- Reasoning and Decision-Making in a Business Context (15 credits)
- Final Psychology Project (30 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
** Optional modules become core once taken.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our BSc (Hons) Business Psychology has an indicative study duration of 4 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Our BSc (Hons) Business Psychology degree will equip you with a wide range of skills making you highly prized by employers in a variety of industries and professions.
From this degree you can expect to gain a sound educational foundation for working in applied psychology with the potential to pursue a career in: organizational psychology, management, human resources, business development, business consultancy, staff training and development, careers counselling, marketing/advertising, market research and finance.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Business Psychology, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- three A-levels or equivalent
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Business Psychology, you must meet the following criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
- three years’ relevant work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0.
Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £18,500
Monthly tuition fee: £385
Please note that a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
We want to give everyone the opportunity to experience a University of Essex Online course. We think you’ll love it! But if, within the first 21 days, you decide it’s not for you, you’ll receive a full refund.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Our Expert Staff
Our Expert Staff
Still have queries ?
Please fill in the form and an expert from the admissions office will call you soon.