Mode of Study
Are you looking for that first step towards a career in healthcare management? Are you fascinated by the fields of health and business? Our online BSc Healthcare Management course provides a unique opportunity to explore a range of career-focused modules of both areas.
In the ever-challenging field of healthcare, this advanced programme gives you the opportunity to expand your knowledge and make the move into leadership. This course ensures you gain an understanding of the challenges faced by healthcare professionals, whilst also gaining management skills that will equip you to progress your career to the next level.
Throughout the course you will explore the societal responsibility, policies and sustainability in both health and healthcare management.
Throughout this course, you’ll explore a broad range of topics including:
Completing this course will help you:
Why we’re great
- Our online BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management is created by subject experts, giving you in-depth knowledge and understanding of leadership and managerial approaches to team and organisational development across a variety of healthcare contexts.
- With this flexible course you can fit your education around your work and family commitments, as you study 100% online and part-time.
- You’ll also gain a wide range of transferable skills including critical thinking, research, self-motivation and communication.
The BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 360 credits.
Level 4 Modules:
- Introduction to Healthcare Management (15 credits)
- Global Health (15 credits)
- Business and Management Skills (15 credits)
- Introduction to Finance (15 credits)
- Human Resource Management (15 credits)
- Health, Society & Public Policy (15 credits)
- Personal and Professional Development 1 (30 credits)
Level 5 Modules:
- Public Health (15 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (15 credits)
- Leadership & Managing Teams (15 credits)
- Introduction to Healthcare Informatics (15 credits)
- Project Management (15 credits)
- Introduction to Health Economics (15 credits)
- Personal and Professional Development 2 (30 credits)
Level 6 Modules:
- Research Methods in Healthcare (15 credits)
- Comparative Health Systems (15 credits)
- Business Strategy (15 credits)
- Health Innovation (15 credits)
- Occupational Psychology (15 credits)
- Contemporary Issues in Practice (15 credits)
- Healthcare Management Dissertation (30 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management has an indicative study duration of 4 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
With our Healthcare Management degree, you’ll be able to progress in a broad range of healthcare and associated management environments.
You may want to consider careers in public, private or community healthcare services globally; or you could build your career in a variety of management contexts such as hospital, project or programme management.
The skills and knowledge obtained from studying our programme are also highly sought after by employers from a wide range of careers in business and health.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- three A-levels or equivalent
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management, you must meet the following criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
- three years’ relevant work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £18,500
Monthly tuition fee: £385
Please note that a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
We want to give everyone the opportunity to experience a University of Essex Online course. We think you’ll love it! But if, within the first 21 days, you decide it’s not for you, you’ll receive a full refund.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Subject specialists, industry authorities and experienced academics: the tutors who teach modules on our BSc (Hons) Healthcare Management are experts in the field of health.
Our Expert Staff
Our Expert Staff
Still have queries ?
Please fill in the form and an expert from the admissions office will call you soon.