Master of Business Management
Mode of Study
Prepare yourself for the modern business environment with one of our unique postgraduate business pathways. Our Master of Business Management focuses on core topics and contemporary issues in the corporate world.
Managers in today’s business landscape need to be flexible, dynamic and focused – all of which are skills you will develop during your online study. They need to have a solid understanding of multiple disciplines, as well as the innovative mindset to face a range of challenges.
This course focuses particularly on the areas of leadership, finance and marketing, while allowing you to customise the course to fit your interests with optional modules on:
Completing this course will help you:
The culmination of the course is your Business and Management Research Report, an independent research project that you’ll undertake into the management or organisational issue of your choice. You’ll investigate the topic, analyse data and make recommendations supporting the research findings and analysis.
If you are interested in business but looking to focus on a specific area, take a look at our Masters degrees in finance, human resources, marketing, analytics or project management, or even our AMBA accredited online MBA.
Why we’re great
- We’re the only exclusively online provider to have received a gold rating in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) – the highest quality found in the UK.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex, University of the Year 2018 (Times Higher Education Awards).
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
The Master of Business Management is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 Modules:
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Economics for Managers (20 credits)
- Marketing: Principles and Practices (20 credits)
- Business and Management Research Report (40 credits)*
- Research Methods (20 credits)*
- Two optional modules:
- Managing Across Cultures (10 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Human Resource Management (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
** These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our Master of Business Management has an indicative study duration of 2 years which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Companies seek out candidates with the most advanced skills to fill senior positions, and a postgraduate qualification is an excellent way to showcase that you possess those abilities. Roles within business management, banking, insurance, accountancy, finance, marketing, sales, retail and human resources would greatly benefit from the knowledge gained through this course.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our Master of Business Management, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our Master of Business Management, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ senior level work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition f