Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Mode of Study
Do you want to take your teaching to a higher level and learn how to further engage your students? Our Master of Education (M.Ed.) is a unique programme which enables teachers, trainers and tutors from all backgrounds to reflect on the way they teach and develop their practice in an innovative way.
On this course you’ll be able to gain insight and inspiration by interacting and learning from fellow educational professionals from across the globe.
This modern course offers a timely view of technology-based learning and how it can enhance practice. You will explore some key theoretical ideas in the philosophy of education and be introduced to the historical context that has influenced current educational practice. The course aims to develop your skills as a reflective practitioner and enable you to consider the role of research in informing teaching and learning
Throughout this course, you’ll explore a broad range of topics including:
Completing this course will help you:
There is also an opportunity to study one of three option modules should you be interested in developing content, or assessment, or have an interest in management.
Finally, you will be given the opportunity to design a mini-research project based in an educational setting, where you will be able to investigate an area of interest related to teaching and learning.
Why we’re great
- The Master in Education (M.Ed.) course enables you to study remotely while in employment and facilitates your ability to evaluate your own practice.
- It introduces you to how technology can be used in teaching and learning.
- There are opportunities for you to engage in dialogue with tutors and students from across the globe in the sharing of practice.
The Master of Education is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 Modules:
- Philosophy of Education and Theories of Learning & Teaching (20 credits)*
- Delivering Effective Teaching and Learning (20 credits)*
- Introduction to Educational Assessment (10 credits)
- Using Technology in Teaching, Learning and Assessment (10 credits)
- The Role of Research and Academic Literature in Developing Practice (20 credits)
- Introduction to Learning Analytics (10 credits)
- The Science of Learning – practical implications for teaching (10 credits)
- Research Methods in Teaching & Learning (20 credits)*
- Dissertation (40 credits)*
- One optional module:
- From Teacher to Content Developer (20 credits)
- From Teacher to Manager (20 credits)
- From Teacher to Assessment Developer (20 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our Master of Education has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Our Master of Education programme is an ideal stepping stone for qualified teachers to expand and enhance their professional development in order to access senior leadership roles.
Due to a broad range of subjects covered on this course and the opportunity to specialise in diverse professional contexts and practices, this advanced degree course will also support career development of professionals with some teaching or educational experience.
Students will have an opportunity to improve their professional practice and attain leadership roles in their chosen career paths as teachers, lecturers, training advisers and administrators, special education professionals, policy developers, researchers, local government and healthcare trainers as well as other related professions.
Please note that this degree will not provide you with a teaching qualification and that additional qualified teacher status is required to allow you to teach in the UK.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two week induction period of the course in order to continue your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our Master of Education, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our Master of Education, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least two years’ teaching experience in a post-compulsory educational setting
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £11,222