MSc Business and Management
Mode of Study
Increase your confidence working with data and develop your managerial skills for the fast-paced business world with this specialist Masters degree.
Data is used in all areas of business – from marketing and sales to product development to customer service and beyond. As more and more data is gathered by businesses, insightful analysis of information gathered and its application to decision making will be essential for business success. Candidates who have relevant analytics knowledge will stand out from their peers.
You will study a range of topics, both general business and management topics and more focused analytics topics including:
Completing this course will help you:
Towards the end of your studies you will undertake a Business and Management Research Project into the topic of your choice, allowing you to take a deeper look into a specific area of business analytics.
Why we’re great
- Designed specifically for managers who understand the growing importance of data.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex, University of the Year 2018 (Times Higher Education Awards).
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
The MSc Business and Management (Business Analytics) is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 Modules:
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Data Management, Modelling and Design (20 credits)*
- Statistics for Business (20 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Data Visualisation and Interpretation (20 credits)
- Data Analytics for Managers (20 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
- Research Methods (20 credits)*
- Business and Management Research Report (40 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
In order to meet the technical requirements for this course, students will need access to Microsoft Excel or an equivalent program.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our MSc Business and Management (Business Analytics) has an indicative study duration of 2 years which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
This degree is ideal for anyone looking to bring a solid grounding in data analysis to their future career, whether within their capacity as a manager, business owner or C-level executive, or within a data specific role such as data officer, finance analyst, marketing analyst or more. With businesses increasingly relying on the data they gather to serve their customers better than their competitors do, the skills and knowledge gained will be invaluable to any growing business.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our MSc Business and Management (Business Analytics), you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our MSc Business and Management (Business Analytics), you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ management level work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.