Mode of Study
Harness your entrepreneurial spirit and prepare to make waves with one of the only 100% online MBAs accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA).
Developed with the world-class team at Essex Business School, this online MBA programme will help you develop the knowledge, self-confidence and skills to lead within the dynamic environments of the modern business world.
You will take part in interactive Director’s Workshops, which bring industry leaders and outstanding speakers before our entire MBA student population for a week-long engaging experience. This is a unique opportunity for students to apply their knowledge to a variety of commercial scenarios and explore real-world business challenges from different perspectives.
Experiential learning is at the core of our MBA programme. Our interactive real-time synchronous attendance events deliver a wealth of reflection and learning opportunities for our students as they collaborate in groups of different sizes and composition. These real-time interactions allow students to contribute, share and reflect upon experiences and insights drawn from the different industrial, geographical and cultural perspectives represented in the global MBA community.
You will also benefit from your classmates’ expertise and experiences, alongside the course content, with our in-depth discussion forums. Subject tutors will be available during live seminars and virtual office hours, while our range of assessment techniques allow you to demonstrate your diverse skillset and understanding of the business areas.
Throughout this course, you’ll explore a broad range of topics including:
Completing this course will help you:
Your studies culminate in the completion of an MBA Project, a dissertation or business plan on the business area of your choice, with research that you have conducted yourself.
Looking for something campus-based? The Essex MBA offers a face-to-face version of this course.
Why we’re great
- The Essex MBA is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA). Less than 2% of business schools can boast this accolade for their MBA and the AMBA affiliation can add huge value to your MBA qualification.
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
- Take part in engaging Director’s Workshops to bring your course to life.
The MBA is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 Modules:
- MBA Synchronous Attendance (0 credits, 120 hours)*
- Director’s Workshop (10 credits)*
- Leading with Impact (10 credits)
- Strategy (10 credits)
- Sustainability and Operations (10 credits)
- Accounting and Finance (10 credits)
- Markets, Governance and Ethics (10 credits)
- Data and Analytics (10 credits)
- Strategic Marketing (10 credits)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship for New Business Models(10 credits)
- The Management of Innovation and Organisational Change (10 credits)
- People and Organisations (10 credits)
- Business Planning (20 credits)*
- MBA Project (40 credits)*
- One optional module:
- Strategic Online Marketing Management (10 credits)
- International Business Environment (10 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- Collaborative Director’s Workshops and engaging virtual synchronous attendance
- Multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- Discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- Live seminars with your tutors
- A comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- Support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser
Our varied assessment methods allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the course content in a wide range of ways. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, participating in live attendance sessions, completing reflective journal entries, by submitting longer written pieces or by undertaking timed open-book exams at home, without the need to travel to an assessment centre.
In order to successfully complete the MBA, students are required to undertake 120 hours of live attendance. The live attendance sessions do not require physical attendance as they run 100% online.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our MBA course has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
An MBA sets you up for success in the dynamic environments of the modern business world. Whether you are seeking a senior position within an organisation or hoping to start up your own company, the skills and knowledge you develop will be useful in roles that manage finance, human resources, corporate strategy, marketing and sales management, research and development and management consultancy, among many others.
We offer two different entry routes on to the Essex Online MBA, taking into account relevant academic qualifications and prior work experience. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for the Essex Online MBA programme, you must have a minimum of a 2.2 undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree.
You are also expected to have at least three years of good quality, relevant, professional work experience, post-graduation, at the course start date. When assessing your experience we will look favourably upon evidence you have managed people, projects or budgets, have demonstrated career progression or have been involved in additional entrepreneurial or community focussed activities.
If you are a non-standard applicant (which is typically an applicant who possesses an undergraduate degree below a 2.2 standard, or an applicant who does not possess an undergraduate degree at all) we require at least five years of relevant managerial experience. You will also be required to write an essay (2000 words) outlining a range of business situations which you have experienced and identifying what you have learnt from them.
Your application will be considered on an individual basis taking into account your motivation for doing the course, prior work experience and other relevant qualifications that demonstrate your ability to successfully complete the programme.
All MBA applicants must submit an up-to-date CV. For each professional role, your CV should include: company name, job title, dates of employment, details of your role and responsibilities and an outline of the skills required or learnt in the role.
You don’t need to have completed GMAT to apply for the Essex MBA but we particularly welcome applicants with a GMAT score of 600 and above. If you have completed GMAT, please submit your score as it may strengthen your application.
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.