Business and Management
Mode of Study
A BA (Hons) Business and Management will help you adapt to the ever-changing world of business. We’ll examine a range of real-world business examples and use them to develop the broad skill set that a good manager should be able to draw from. At level 4 you will begin by building a foundation in key topics, which you will expand on throughout later modules. Areas of study include:
Completing this course will help you:
In your final year of this business management degree, you will have the opportunity to leverage all your new skills in an independent and in-depth investigation on the topic of your choice, culminating in the creation of a business research project. You will also critique and provide feedback on others’ reports, developing the critical evaluation and communication skills that you will need in collaborative meetings throughout your career.
In our interactive discussion forums and live Q&As you will collaborate with professionals around the world, learning not just from us but also from each other. You’ll develop new ways to approach business problems and will be able to apply the skills you learn from the very first day.
Why we’re great
- As one of the longest running online higher education providers we have a track record of success and improvement.
- Our assessment processes are designed for online and mature students to reflect real-life situations and issues.
- The only exclusively online higher education provider to receive a gold rating in the government’s TEF 2018. This means that our degrees are of the highest quality found in the UK.
The Bachelor’s degree in Business and Management is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 360 credits.
Level 4 Modules:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning (15 credits)*
- Business and Management Skills (15 credits)*
- Fundamentals of Marketing (15 credits)*
- Human Resource Management (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Finance (15 credits)*
- Business Environment (15 credits)*
- Core Skills and Employability (30 credits)*
Level 5 Modules:
- Business Planning (15 credits)*
- Marketing and Sales Management (15 credits)*
- Operations Management (15 credits)*
- Leadership and Managing Teams (15 credits)*
- Financial Decision Making (15 credits)*
- Project Management (15 credits)*
- Business Investigation (30 credits)*
Level 6 Modules:
- Global Business Environment (15 credits)
- Business Strategy (15 credits)*
- Strategic Human Resource Management (15 credits)
- Business Law (15 credits)
- International Marketing Strategy (15 credits)
- Business Finance (15 credits)
- Advanced Business Project (30 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award
Learning and Assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecture casts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces. We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our BA (Hons) Business and Management has an indicative study duration of 4 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
- It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
- Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
- All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
- On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Business skills are incredibly transferable to virtually any field, and roles within a management context will definitely benefit from your new commercial knowledge. Positions in finance, consultancy, project management, advertising and marketing are also likely to be well-suited for our graduates.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
You will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our BA (Hons) Business and Management, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- Two A-levels or equivalent
Work Experience Entry Route
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our BA (Hons) Business and Management, you must meet the following criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
- Three years’ relevant work experience
English Language Requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £18,500
Monthly tuition fee: £385
Designated for undergraduate student loans in England.
Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
Full payment discount of 10% of the tuition fee if you pay upfront.