Master of Public Health
Equip yourself with the key expertise required to address public health concerns on a national and international level.
Mode of Study
11 Jan 2022
About the Programme
We offer one of the only online MPH programmes in the UK which is fully accredited by APHEA (Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation). APHEA is an independent body which is committed to assuring and improving the quality of public health educational activities throughout Europe and the globe.
Our MPH offers a global multidisciplinary public health approach. You will work in small groups with your peers to discuss public health issues and engage in collaborative activities. Our international faculty and students bring a breadth of perspectives to our classroom which provides you with unique insight into public health best practices across the world.
Through the programme you will explore key topics within public health such as principles and practice within a global context, as well as methodologies and approaches from an ethical, social and economic standpoint. You will learn to critically appraise the complexities of health and social systems from different stakeholder perspectives and evaluate options for strategy development and programme interventions.
You can elect to study specialist modules to advance specific expertise in public health, such as managing crises and disasters, programme and policy challenges in low-income countries, and health economics. The optional modules you choose to study, could enable you to pursue our specialist pathways in Management of Health Systems and International Public Health.
What is Public Health?
Public health is an umbrella term referring to the provision of healthcare to the general public, both at a national and international level. Working in a public health department is based around ensuring that people from all backgrounds can access a good level of healthcare to keep them fit and healthy as part of a better society.
Jobs in public health can be wide-ranging; from doctors to managers, administrators to educators, there are a wealth of public health careers that are engaging and rewarding and there are a number of education pathways for getting started on the public health career ladder.
- Practising and Promoting Public Health in a Global Context (15 credits)
- Generating and Evaluating Public Health Evidence (20 credits)
- Integrated Research in Public Health: Epidemiology and Qualitative Methods (20 credits)
- Leading and Managing Health Systems (10 credits)
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Systems and Programmes (10 credits)
- Health Inequalities: Integrating Public Health Practice (10 credits)
- Core module (one from):
- Applied Epidemiological Research for Public Health; or (15 credits)
- Applied Qualitative Research for Public Health (15 credits)
- Optional modules (two from):
- Health Protection (10 credits)
- Preventing and Managing Communicable Diseases (10 credits)
- Managing Crises and Disasters (10 credits)
- Programme and Policy Challenges in Low Income Countries (10 credits)§
- Health, Economics and Governance (10 credits)‡
- Dissertation (60 credits)
- A master’s or bachelor’s in medicine, equivalent to a UK degree, coupled with at least one year experience in a public health related field; or
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in a public health related discipline, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ professional experience in a public health related field; or
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in a non-public health related discipline, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ professional experience in a public health related field.
- A minimum GCSE grade C or equivalent in English language and mathematics.
- MPH: £15,300 These fees* are fully inclusive of all costs, including all teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
- School or college transcripts/certificates
- University transcripts and certified translations if applicable
- Degree certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (EU and international applications only)
- Personal statement
- An up-to-date CV
- Regional Scholarships of up to 15%. To find out the scholarship offered in your region, please make an enquiry now.
- 10% discount for University of Liverpool alumni
- 5% discount for up-front full tuition fee payment
This programme has been designed with the professional development needs in mind of a wide range of health practitioners – from those interested in improving the health and wellbeing within communities, to individuals working for NGOs in developing countries, or in developed countries – to help them progress to the next stage of their career ladder.
You will be equipped with the expertise to put public health principles into effect in a variety of settings including research, practice and policy. This could open up senior roles for you in public health research and practice within a range of sectors, such as health organisations, governmental organisations, charities and NGOs.
Are You Ready To Start?
Still have queries ?
Please fill in the form and an expert from the admissions office will call you soon.