International Business Law
Mode of Study
We live in an increasingly global community, and commerce across borders continues to rise. Understanding how the law works on an international scale for business and commercial interactions is useful for a number of different roles.
Many undergraduate law degrees contain little content about international business law – so if you are a lawyer who wishes to specialise, this comprehensive degree in the field will help distinguish your skills amongst legal practitioner peers. For those of you in managerial roles whose companies span across national borders, this course will help your understanding of the minutiae of details relating to transnational commercial dealings. And for those who simply want to gain further understanding of the nature of international business law, this course will provide a thorough grounding in the relevant legal topics.
The course will delve into many legal topics including:
Completing this course will help you:
Why we’re great
- Focused degree subject on a highly relevant specialist field of law.
- We received a 95% student satisfaction rating in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2021 – higher than all mainstream UK universities, and well above the national average of 75%.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex, University of the Year 2018 (Times Higher Education Awards).
The LLM International Business Law is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits.
Level 7 Modules:
- International Business Law (20 credits)
- Law of the World Trade Organization (20 credits)
- International Competition Law (20 credits)
- Legal Research Skills and Methods (20 credits)*
- International Business Law Dissertation (60 credits)*
- Two optional modules:
- Commercial Conflict of Laws (20 credits)
- Intellectual Property Law (20 credits)
- International Commercial Arbitration Dispute Resolution (20 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our LLM International Business Law has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
The specialist legal knowledge you will gain is of particular use to those working within roles connected to global commerce, such as a lawyer within an international law firm, a multinational company doing business across borders, a governmental organisation regulating trade, or a research position looking into the future of business. The skills you gain will further enhance your CV to unlock senior role possibilities.
Qualified solicitors or barristers will also be able to use the skills and knowledge gained from studying the course to meet their annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our LLM International Business Law, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our LLM International Business Law, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ senior level work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £18,500
Monthly tuition fee: £385
Please note that a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Our Expert Staff
Our Expert Staff
Still have queries ?
Please fill in the form and an expert from the admissions office will call you soon.