MSc Project Management
Mode of Study
Managing projects effectively is a valuable skill in a wide range of careers. How do you manage the resources and tools at your disposal against challenges such as time, cost and quality constraints in order to produce the optimal outcome?
This course is designed to develop your personal and professional skills in areas such as communication, teamwork, leadership, critical evaluation and time management, alongside giving you practical techniques and in-depth knowledge of best practices when managing projects of any size.
Areas of study include:
Completing this course will help you:
To complete your studies, you will need to create a business and Management Research Report on the commercial or organisation issue of your choice within the scope of the program. You will be encouraged to explore an area that has not been investigated previously and to create an independent study featuring inventive solutions to the problems posed.
Why we’re great
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
- We’re the only exclusively online provider to have received a gold rating in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) – the highest quality found in the UK.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex, University of the Year 2018 (Times Higher Education Awards).
The MSc Project Management is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 Modules:
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Project Management Techniques (20 credits)
- Management of Projects (20 credits)
- Project Analytics (20 credits)
- Leading and Managing Project Teams (20 credits)
- Research Methods (20 credits)*
- Business and Management Research Report (40 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our MSc Project Management has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Project management skills are directly transferable to a wide range of industries, and job candidates who demonstrate their commitment to and knowledge of the field are often sought out for high-level roles. A postgraduate qualification is an ideal way to showcase this on your CV. Positions directly related to project management will see obvious benefit, and this course is also of value to those working in management consultancy, finance, marketing, sales, as well as project management professionals within specialist industries such as healthcare or property.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our MSc Project Management, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our MSc Project Management, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ senior level work experience
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Are You Ready To Start?
Fees and Funding
Full tuition fee: £11,570
Please note that a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Our Expert Staff
Our Expert Staff
Still have queries ?
Please fill in the form and an expert from the admissions office will call you soon.